WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM FCPD:
If you are looking for information on the steps one needs to become a police officer for Fairfax County Police Department you’ve landed on the right web page. However you must realize that the application process to become a police officer for FCPD is a bit difficult – sometimes taking up to a year until you are hired.
Although the hiring process is long don’t let that stop you from applying. Why? Fairfax County PD is a good department to work for. Not only is the pay competitive, but you’ll also get great benefits, a retirement plan, paid vacation and career advance opportunities.
Fairfax PD Requirements & Qualifications:
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien with application for naturalization filed and pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200, provided there has been at least six months success wearing soft contact lenses. Without soft contact lenses, uncorrected vision cannot be worse than 20/100. In any case, vision must be correctable to 20/20.
- At least 21 years of age at date of appointment
- High school graduate or possess a valid G.E.D. certificate recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Possess, or be able to acquire, a valid operator’s license
- Illegal drug use will be reviewed with respect to recent use, type of drug and frequency of use.
- Never been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor. Involvement in past criminal activity will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Good character and reputation
- Ability to perform essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation
- Stable work record
Here are the steps of the application/Employment process:
- Written exam- 2.5 hours
- Initial interview- ½ hour
- Polygraph- 3 hours
- Psychological exam- 8 hours
- Physical abilities test- 2 hours
- Background interview- 4 hours
- Medical exam- 4 hours
- Entire background investigation- 8-12 weeks
Pay Scale, Average Salary, Pay Chart FCPD:
- All uniforms and equipment provided by Department
- Police officer: $47,094.74 (O-17, Entry Level at Step 2)
- Police Officer First Class: $49,247.33 – 80,220.82 (O-18)
- Master Police Officer: $51,596.48 – 84,048.22 (O-19)
- Police Sergeant: $54,176.30 – 88,250.45 (O-20)
For further salary information please refer to the pay scale table for officers.