Jacksonville (FL) Sheriff Department Hiring/Recruiting Process
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM JSO:
If you are interested in becoming a police officer in Florida for the Jacksonville Sheriff Office you must understand that the application process will take some time. In fact, it may take up to a year before you are hired. The recruiting process to become a police officer is a long one, but it’s like that everywhere so don’t get discouraged.
Because of the ever rising civil liability claims against PD’s nationwide, no wonder why law enforcement agencies are so meticulous when hiring a potential recruit. The last thing a city/county want to do is hire a police officer who is mentally unstable. That’s just a lawsuit waiting to happen down the road.
HERE ARE THE REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS FOR JSO:
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university OR Possess an accredited Associate’s Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours) with four (4) years prior active military or law enforcement experience OR Possess 90 semester/135 quarter hours with two (2) years prior active military or law enforcement experience.
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Be in good physical condition
- Be of good moral character
- NOT HAVE received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces
- NOT HAVE been convicted of any felony
- NOT HAVE been convicted of a misdemeanor involving false statement, perjury or domestic violence
- Must pass Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT) for Law Enforcement. Contact the Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) at (904)633-8388 or click here for Assessment and Certification testing information.
- Must have a Training Certification issued by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. A copy of state exam test score must be submitted at time of application. Out of state certified applicants contact Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) at 1-850-410-8600 to obtain certification transfer information. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office sponsors PAID Non Certified Police Recruit training classes at FSCJ (North Campus). The salary and tuition will be paid to candidates selected for the class.
Prior to being selected for employment, all applicants must successfully complete the following:
JACKSONVILLE SHERIFF DEPARTMENT HIRING/APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Physical Ability Test
- Writing Skills Test
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation
- Credit History Check
- Driving History
- Criminal History
- 10 Year Employment and Residential Check
- Oral Board Interview
- Medical/Stress Test/Drug Screen
- Psychological Examination
Applications must be typewritten or submitted on line. Applications along with required documents will be
accepted at the Criminal Justice Training Center, 4715 Capper Road, Building P, Monday through Friday
between the hours of 8 a.m.- 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.- 4 p.m. Local residents are encouraged to hand deliver their application during normal business hours.
JSO AVERAGE SALARY, PAY SCALE, PAY CHART/RANGE
A Police Officer’s base salary is determined by a seventeen year career path. Officers start at $37,356 annually, reaching $56,388 after six years and $64,409 after seventeen years. Sergeants earn 17% above an officer’s and Lt. 17% above Sergeant.
These base salaries typically increase every year in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements. In addition, those in the Police ranks may be eligible to receive education incentives. Other Pay premium include shift differential, working out-of-classification, state career incentives for advanced training, etc. If becoming a member of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office appeals to you, we urge you to apply today.
JACKSONVILLE PD BENEFITS RETIREMENT PENSION:
Members may retire with a minimum of 20 years of service and collect sixty percent (60%) or a maximum of 30
years and collect eighty percent (80%) of their average base pay for the last two (2) years. Members are
eligible to vested rights after five years of service at two and one-half percent (2 1/2 %) per year of service .
Officers are eligible to enroll in the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP) after twenty years and retire
with a substantially enhanced pension upon reaching twenty-five years service. There is no age requirement.
Annual leave may be accrued up to 600 hours at the end of each fiscal year. Officers are compensated for all
hours in excess of 600.
HOLIDAY: Twelve paid holidays per year
- Tuition reimbursement, at Florida State College Jacksonville/University of North Florida rates.
- State education salary incentives of $30 monthly, for obtaining an Associate’s degree and $80 monthly, for obtaining a Bachelors/Master’s degree. State incentives are applicable after obtaining Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) certification and are non-cumulative.
- City education incentive of $200 monthly for obtaining a Master’s degree, with 18 semester hours of police sciences. City education incentive is applicable after completing probation.
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH COVERAGE:
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Plan
May be granted up to 5 days off without loss of pay.
May be granted up to 17 working days each calendar year for reserve training in the National Guard or Armed
Services raises are based on $25 per month for each 5 years of service. All other raises are bargained for by
the Fraternal Order of Police.
Closing Date – Continuous Recruitment
Units Inside Jacksonville Sheriff Department
- Detective Division
- Organized Crime
- Mounted Unit
- Marine Unit
- Aviation Unit
- Bicycle Unit
- Community Affairs Division
- Hostage Negotiator
- Field Training
- Intelligence Section
- Dive Unit
- Crime Scene Evidence Technicians
Sheriff Department, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Tags: Jacksonville Florida Sheriff Department Hiring, Jacksonville PD Employment, Jacksonville PD hiring, Jacksonville PD Recruiting, Jacksonville Sheriff Department Hiring, Jacksonville Sheriff Department recruiting process, Jacksonville Sheriff Office Employment, Jacksonville Sheriff Office FL Hiring Process, Jacksonville Sheriff Office hiring, JSO Employment, JSO Hiring, JSO Recruiting