Watch The Video For an Important Message From PHX PD Commander Chris Crockett:
If you are looking for information on the Phoenix Police Department hiring process you’ve landed on the right webpage. However you must understand that the application process is quite detailed and lengthy.
The truth is the recruitment process is a long and tedious one. Sometimes taking up to a year before you are hired. Honestly that is pretty standard for law enforcement agencies across the country.
Below is the steps that you’ll have to successfully complete before you are hired by PPD:
The following are 7 steps to help you get started with a career in the Phoenix Police Department
STEP 1 The Written Test
No written test are scheduled at this time.
Applicants will not be admitted without a photo ID.
STEP 2 Physical Agility Test
Offered only to those who successfully pass the written test,
and will be administered at the Phoenix Law Enforcement Academy.
Click here for physical agility chart
STEP 3 Background Questionnaire Investigation
The AZPOST background packet is given to those who successfully complete both the written and agility exams.
The packet must be completed by the applicant and returned to the Employment Services Bureau for review.
620 West Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Qualified applicants are contacted a short time later (1-3 weeks) for initial interview.
Click here for minimum qualifications
STEP 4 Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant’s background investigation packet.
STEP 5 Psychological Test
Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
STEP 6 Medical Examination
Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination given by a licensed physician.
STEP 7 Controlled Substance Screening
Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.
Average Salary, Pay scale, Earnings & Benefits
Police Officer Salary and Benefits
Information Provided by the Police Department
Salary while in the Academy
After Graduating the Academy
After Six Months
After 18 months
Career Enhancement Pay
Requirements & Qualifications
- Be at least 20 years of age at the time of application, 21 years of age prior to completion of the Academy.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be in sound physical and mental health.
- Have at least 20/20 vision uncorrected; or 20/20 vision corrected by glasses or hard contact lenses if uncorrected acuity is 20/80 or better; 20/20 vision corrected by soft contact lenses if uncorrected acuity is 20/200 or better. Vision capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- Within the last 36 months:
- Have fewer than 8 driving violations points,
- No more than one chargeable accident,
- No conviction for DUI (One Lifetime)
- Driver’s license that is cancelled, refused, suspended or revoked.
- Must meet AZ P.O.S.T. and Phoenix Police Department drug standards.
- No commission or conviction of a felony. Misdemeanor arrests are discretionary.
- Must have good moral character and personal integrity.
- No history of criminal or improper conduct. No poor employment or irresponsible financial history.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- AZ POST (Arizona Peace Officers Standards and Training) certified officers may be eligible for lateral transfers after submitting an application and completing the physical agility exam and the Phoenix Police Department background investigation.