The New York police training academy for future police officers is one of the toughest in the entire country. If you survive the police academy
in New York, especially the NYPD law enforcement academy, you’ll be ready for just about anything. Police officers in New York are probably some of the best trained cops in the nation. Rightly so, since they encounter far more life threatening situations than the average officer.
In order to enroll in the police academy in N.Y. there are some general requirements you must meet first and foremost. The police officer academy in New York doesn’t allow just anyone to enroll. In fact, if you have any felony convictions, are out of shape, or have poor communication skills, you won’t do well.
Below are some general requirements and qualifications one must meet in order to successfully enroll in the New York law enforcement training academy.
New York Police Academy Requirements and Officer Qualifications:
- Must be at least age 20 on the Application Deadline and be 21 at time of appointment.
- Must not have turned 30 before the Application Deadline. The age limitation may be extended up to six years for active military service.
- Must be a citizen of the United States on or before the Application Deadline.
- Must have a high school diploma at time of application.
- Must have good moral character. A Felony conviction is an automatic disqualification.
AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT (After passing the exam and being offered a position):
You must posses a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma
- Military GED Certificate
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university at time of appointment.
Exceptions: 30 college credits may be waived, if the candidate has either:
Received an Honorable Discharge from the United States military after two years of active military service
Successfully completed a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by, or equivalent to a course approved by, the New York State Municipal Police Training council. A certified Peace Officer Training course does not qualify.
- Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.
- Must conform to height and weight standards at time of appointment.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
- Vision Requirement: uncorrected – no worse than 20/100 in each eye able to be corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Correction may be achieved using glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Color blindness is disqualifying.
- Must comply with New York State Police policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times. Tattoos, brands, body piercings and other body art shall not be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes a short sleeve shirt open at the front of the neck. In addition to visibility, some tattoos or brands may have symbolic meanings that are inconsistent with the values of the New York State Police.
Those are just some of the requirements needed to enroll in the New York police academy. If you want further information regarding qualifications, please call the the approved institutions near you. I’ve listed a few police academy locations below for your convenience.
BINGHAMPTON POLICE DEPARTMENT/ACADEMY
38 Hawley St
Binghampton, New York 13901
BLACK RIVER/SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY POLICE ACADEMY
1332 Washington St
Watertown, New York 13601
BROOME COUNTY-ZONE & LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY
50 Collier St
Binghampton, New York 13902
BUFFALO POLICE ACADEMY
74 Franklin St
Buffalo, New York 14202
BUREAU FOR MUNICIPAL POLICE
Executive Park Tower Stuyvesant Plz
Albany, New York 12203
CENTRAL NEW YORK POLICE ACADEMY
Onondaga Community College
4969 Onondaga Road
Syracuse, NY 13215-1944
CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SHERIFFS ACADEMY
525 Faulkner St Cedc Bldg
Jamestown, New York 14701
FINGERLAKES LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY
74 Ontario St Sheriffs Office
Canandaigua, New York 14424-1898
KINGSTON POLICE ACADEMY
1 Garraghan Dr
Kingston, New York 12401
MOHAWK VALLEY POLICE ACADEMY
1101 Sherman Dr
Utica, New York 13501
NASSAU COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
6 Cross St
Williston Park, New York 11596
NEW YORK CITY POLICE ACADEMY
235 E 20th St
New York , New York 10003
NEW YORK STATE DIVISION OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE SERVICE
Exec Park Tower Stuyvesant Plaza
Albany, New York 12203
NEW YORK STATE POLICE ACADEMY
State Campus Bldg 24
Albany, New York 12226
NIAGARA COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY/COMMUNITY COLLEGE
3111 Saunders Settlement Rd
Sanborn, New York 14132
ONANDAGA COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
511 S State St Training Division
Syracuse, New York 13202
ORANGE COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
Goshen, New York 10924
ROCHESTER PD ACADEMY-NEW YORK
Civic Center Plaza Rm 675
Rochester, New York 14614
ROCKLAND COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
Fireman Memorial Dr
Pomona, New York 10970
SOUTHERN TIER LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY
70 Golf Rd
Corning, New York 14830
ST LAWRENCE COUNTY SHERIFFS ACADEMY
48 Court St
Canton, New York 13617
SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
550 Mount Ave
West Babylon, New York 11704
TOMPKINS COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY
Cornell University G-2 Barton Hall
Ithaca, New York 14853
WESTCHESTER COUNTY POLICE ACADEMY
Valhalla, New York 10595
ZONE 5 LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY
121 Erie Boulevard
Schenectady, NY 12305-2202