Police Academy Requirements in Wisonsin – Become a Cop in WI
Police Academy Requirements in Wisconsin – Become a Cop In WI
If you want to become a police officer in the state of Wisconsin, you must know the requirements and qualifications before you submit your application. Additionally, you’ll need to know the police academy requirements for the state of Wisconsin. Requirements to become a police officer in WI vary from department to department, but the following requirements generally are followed by the majority of police departments.
Wisconsin Police Academy Requirements and Wisconsin Police Officer Qualifications
- The applicant shall possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license or such other valid operator’s permit recognized by the Wisconsin department of transportation as authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in Wisconsin; or be eligible for a WI Driver’s license.
- The applicant shall not have been convicted of any federal felony or of any offense which if committed in Wisconsin could be punished as a felony unless the applicant has been granted an absolute and unconditional pardon.
- The applicant shall possess a Wisconsin high school diploma or a diploma issued by an out of state high school accredited by an appropriate agency of the state or shall have passed the general education development diploma test or any other test recommended by the Wisconsin department of public instruction as indicating high school diploma level.
- An applicant for employment as a law enforcement or tribal law enforcement officer shall possess either a 2 year associate degree from a Wisconsin technical college system district or its accredited equivalent from another state or a minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits.
- The applicant shall be of good character as determined from a written report containing the results of the following:
- A background investigation conducted by or on behalf of an employer. The employer shall certify in a document subscribed and sworn to by the affiant that a reasonably appropriate background investigation has been conducted, what persons or agency conducted the investigation and where written results of the investigation are maintained on file.
- Such other investigation as may be deemed necessary to provide a basis of judgment on the applicant’s loyalty to the United States or to detect conditions which adversely affect performance of one’s duty as a law enforcement, tribal law enforcement, jail or secure detention officer.
- The applicant shall be free from any physical, emotional or mental condition which might adversely affect performance of duties as a law enforcement, tribal law enforcement, jail or secure detention officer.
- The applicant shall complete a personal medical history, a copy of which is to be submitted to the examining physician. The examination shall be by a Wisconsin licensed physician who shall provide a written report on the results of the examination.
- Applicants who have been disqualified during an oral examination may not apply for a position for one (1) year from the time of disqualification.
- Applicants who have been disqualified during the background investigation may not apply for a position for three (3) years from the time of disqualification.
- Applicants who have been disqualified during the medical, psychological, or drug testing may not apply for a position for four (4) years from the time of disqualification.
If you want information on the self sponsorship program, course curriculum, tuition cost, and/or more information on a particular academy simply call them directly. Below I’ve listed contact info for all the state approved academies in Wisconsin for your convenience.
BUREAU OF INSTRUCTION & TRAINING
6680 N Teutonia Ave
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209
MADISON POLICE ACADEMY
211 S Carroll St
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
MILWAUKEE COUNTY SHERIFFS ACADEMY
2201 S 7th St
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53215
MILWAUKEE POLICE ACADEMY
6680 N Teutonia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209
TRAINING AND STANDARDS BUREAU
2 E Mifflin St Ste 100
Madison, Wisconsin 53707
WISCONSIN STATE PATROL ACADEMY
800 S 10th Ave
Fort Mccoy, Wisconsin 54656
About The Author
Officer Forestal has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, 8 years law enforcement experience and is a graduate of the 2002 Police Corps, where he was recognized as an expert shooter. Former Collegiate all-American, certifield personal trainer and author of several fitness and police related books such as the Police Oral Interview Secrets, and Police Exam For Dummies. As a Law Enforcement enthusiast, E.L. has helped hundreds of candidates "ACE" their respective entrance exam and the oral board interview. Learn More...