Tennessee Police Academy – Requirements Needed To Graduate
If you want to successfully enroll into the Tennessee police academy, there are some requirements you must meet before you are accepted. The law enforcement training academy in Tennessee doesn’t just accept anyone. It doesn’t matter if you have the finances to pay your own way or not. Below I’ve listed some things that are absolutely critical if you want to enroll in the post training academy.
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s license with no major traffic violations
- Complete a criminal history disclosure form in a manner approved by the appointing authority and agree to release all records involving any criminal history to the appointing authority.
- Complete/Pass a timed challenge/physical agility test that will be conducted at the Tennessee Department of Safety’s Training Center in Donelson, Tennessee.
- Supply a fingerprint sample in a manner prescribed by the TBI for a fingerprint based criminal history records check.
- Pass medical, physical, and psychological examinations, which include a drug-screening, in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Have visual acuity of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye and 20/30 or better corrected in each eye.
- Subjected to an intense background investigation, which includes a check of State and Federal criminal records, driving history, credit check, education, military, previous employment, and reference verification as well as a polygraph examination which will require some travel to the appointment.
- No felony convictions or a conviction of any misdemeanor considered to be of moral turpitude (i.e., force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor (including DUI) or controlled substances).
- A High School education is defined by the State of Tennessee as a diploma that is recognized as such by the State Department of Education for the state in which the school is located. If you attended a high school overseas, it is the applicant’s responsibility to have your education converted to U.S. education standards. Any expense to have your education converted to U.S. standards and documentation provided will be your responsibility.
Here’s a list of certified police academy institutions recognized by the state of Tennessee. If you want more info, you can contact them directly.
CHATTANOOGA POLICE ACADEMY
3300 Amnicola Hwy
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37406
CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE BASIC POLICE ACADEMY
PO Box 3570
Cleveland, Tennessee 37320
Phone: 615-472-7141 X412
KNOXVILLE POLICE DEPT/TRAINING DIVISION
800 E Church Ave
Knoxville, Tennessee 37915
MEMPHIS POLICE ACADEMY
4731 O K Robertson Rd
Memphis, Tennessee 38127
METRO NASHVILLE POLICE ACADEMY
2715 Tucker Road
Nashville, Tennessee 37218
TENNESSEE LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING ACADEMY
3025 Lebanon Rd
Donelson, Tennessee 37214-2217
About The Author
Officer Forestal has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, 8 years law enforcement experience and is a graduate of the 2002 Police Corps, where he was recognized as an expert shooter. Former Collegiate all-American, certifield personal trainer and author of several fitness and police related books such as the Police Oral Interview Secrets, and Police Exam For Dummies. As a Law Enforcement enthusiast, E.L. has helped hundreds of candidates "ACE" their respective entrance exam and the oral board interview. Learn More...