If you want to be part of the SWAT team, there is a series of exams that you must pass to make this a reality. The first thing that you must do in order to be a SWAT team participant is to get hired as a police officer.
I know that sounds like a given but some people think they can simply walk off the street and apply to be a SWAT team officer. It’s not that simple. In fact, you must apply and get hired as a police officer first before you can go into a specialized unit like the S.W.A.T team.
Here are some general requirements that’s needed to become part of the S.W.A.T team:
- You must apply and get hired as a police officer
- You must have been on the department for at least one year
- You must have went through your rookie year without any negative write-ups
- You must possess a good work ethic
- You must pass the polygraph test
- You must pass the oral board interview
- You must pass the psychological evaluation
- You must be in good physical condition
That’s about it for all the requirements needed to become a SWAT team member. The most important things on that list is you must apply and get hired as a police officer. To get hired as quickly as possible and separate yourself from the competition, you must get a top score on the oral board interview. The hiring panel puts more emphasis on how well you do on your oral exam than anything else.
So in conclusion, if you want to become a police officer as quickly as possible and later become a SWAT team officer, the only thing you need to worry about RIGHT NOW is getting hired.