Correction officers (also known as detention officers, jailers, prison guards) are responsible for supervising prisoners, enforcing rules, and maintaining security within the walls of a correctional facility. Requirements to become a county corrections officer in Indiana vary from agency to agency, but often include predetermined amounts of training and work experience.
Correctional officers in Indiana have the duty of maintaining order in a county operated detention facility. They watch over inmates and make sure all rules and regulations are met while those incarcerated serve their sentences.
Requirements & Qualifications:
Here are some general requirements that you must meet before you are offered the position of a detention officer (also known as deputy sheriff) in the state of Indiana:
- You must have a High School diploma or G.E.D
- You must have a Indiana driver’s license. If you are a licensed driver in another state, you must go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and switch it over
- You must be in good shape in order to pass the physical fitness test. Overweight and out of shape applicants are often not hired as correctional officers. That’s why it is so important to follow a proven to work weight loss program immediately after deciding that you want to go into corrections.
- You must pass the polygraph test. According to the author of How To Pass Your Polygraph Test, 50% of first time test takers fail their polygraph examination even if they are telling the truth. The author explains in his polygraph prep book how to pass your polygraph test your first time through.
- You must pass the oral board interview. I recommend reading this new correctional interview book, Ace Your Correctional Interview. In it, Robert gives advice on how to beat out the competition, even though they may be more qualified than you (using these techniques shows the “intangibles” you offer the agency that no one else can!)
- You must not have any felony convictions or any criminal cases pending.
- You must not have any convictions involving cultivating, transporting, or distributing illegal drugs of any kind.