If you want to become a police officer in the state of Washington, you must successfully pass the police training academy. If you are thinking about sponsoring yourself throughout the police academy, here are some qualifications and requirements needed before you can enroll.
It would also be a good idea to buy a police academy study guide weeks in advance before your academy class begins. If by any chance you are already at the academy, but struggling to retain the vast amount of information thrown your way, I’d recommend downloading a police academy review guide as well.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America at the time of employment.
- Possess a valid, unrestricted Washington Driver’s License at the time of employment.
- Be 19 ½ years old at the time of application.
- Possess a certificate of high school completion or the equivalent.
- Have no felony convictions. Have no misdemeanor convictions involving theft, crimes of violence (i.e., domestic violence, assault on a family member, etc.), larceny, moral turpitude, controlled substances, or hit and run.
- Body must be well proportioned and in compliance with departmental height and weight or body fat standards.
- Pass a physical fitness/agility test.
- Be approved for employment after a thorough background investigation.
- Successfully pass a pre-employment polygraph examination.
If you want further information on the self sponsorship program, course curriculum, tuition cost and/or more information on a particular academy simply call them directly. Below I’ve listed contact info for all the state approved academies in Washington for your convenience.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE TRAINING COMMISSION
PO Box 40905
Olympia, Washington 98504-0905
SPOKANE POLICE TRAINING CENTER
N 2302 Waterworks
Spokane, Washington 99212
WASHINGTON STATE PATROL TRAINING ACADEMY
631 W Dayton-airport Rd
Shelton, Washington 98584